Here are a few scenarios where you may be required to update your WordPress® URL:
- If you migrate your WordPress website from one web host to another.
- Change your domain name.
- Move your WordPress website location from one directory to another.
Please carefully read these instructions to change your WordPress URL since any errors can potentially break your website.
The process to change your WordPress URL is divided into the following steps:
Once you have changed your WordPress URL, you must ensure your domain name is pointing to the correct directory.
Follow these steps to update the directory pointer:
1. Log in to your Account Manager.
2. On the left side of the page, click Hosting Packages.
3. Click the Assign/Edit Your Domain icon.
4. Find the domain name you want to update, then click Edit.
5. Use the drop-down menu to choose the directory where WordPress is installed, then click Select.
6. If you do not see the proper directory, click Add directory not listed, then click Select to assign the directory.
7. Type the name of the new directory after htdocs, then click Select.
8. Review and confirm your settings, then click Continue.
9. A confirmation page of your changes appears.
10. Your directory pointer has been changed.
My WordPress website no longer works after changing the WordPress URL.
Make sure you have changed the website address and WordPress address inside the administrator panel before editing your Directory Pointer inside the Account Manager. Depending on what third-party themes and plugins are used, you may need to make additional changes in the WordPress dashboard or database.
My WordPress website resolves, but images no longer load.
You may need to update image links in WordPress, which can be done manually in the database. Be sure to read this article section on the WordPress website for Additional Items of Note in the WordPress Codex when you change your WordPress URL.
I am not a programmer or Web developer. Can the Customer Support team change my WordPress URL?
WordPress is an open-source application that we did not develop. Please be advised that our Customer Support team cannot make changes to your WordPress website. We do offer paid support for code troubleshooting, and WordPress URL changes through our expert MyTimeSupport services.