Directory Pointers allow you to assign additional domains that will point directly to another folder on your Web Server. The practical application—you can build a completely separate website within separate folders, which allows you to host multiple websites on one hosting package.
To create a new directory pointer and assign a domain, follow these steps:
2. Click My Hosting Packages.
- If you have multiple hosting packages, you will be prompted to select the package that you are updating.
4. Click Assign New.
5. Select a Domain from the drop-down box and click Select.
- If your domain is not listed, select –Add domain not listed, then click Select. You will then manually type in the domain name and click Select. Be sure to follow the instructions displayed to configure the DNS to point correctly to your site.
- If you have not registered a domain yet, then you can purchase and register a new domain, just click the Domain Names in the top navigation bar. Once the domain is registered, then start over from the beginning of the step 2 instructions.
- The drop-down box scans the server for all folders and list any there. If you want to create a new folder select the option to – Add directory not listed. Then create the same folder on the server using FTP or File Manager.
Note: The root directory is the highest level directory in a hosting package. In our hosting packages this would be the highest level directory folder you are able to access and write to.
For users who have Unix Hosting the root is: /htdocs
For users who have Windows Hosting the root is: /www