- What is .mobi?
- Who is mTLD?
- Who can register a .mobi domain?
- What are the mTLD .mobi website standards?
- What happens if a .mobi website fails to comply with the mTLD mandatory rules?
Back to Top mTLD is the registry for the .mobi domain name. A registry is the organization responsible for the administration and maintenance of a domain extension. Network Solutions® accesses mTLD's registry database to register and maintain domain registrations on behalf of our customers. mTLD is supported by a variety of mobile companies, device manufacturers and Internet content providers.
Back to Top Anyone can register a .mobi domain, but they must meet the following requirements:
- The .mobi name must be between 3 and 63 characters.
- You can use letters from A to Z and numbers from 0 through 9.
- No spaces or special characters are permitted.
Setting up Your .mobi WebsiteIn setting up your .mobi website, you will learn about the website standards and rules.
Because the intent of .mobi is to provide easily viewed content for mobile Internet users, there are some mandatory rules for developing a .mobi website. When registering a .mobi domain, the registrant is agreeing to follow the .mobi guidelines for website design and creation.
Some of the mandatory rules include:
- No frames should be used in the design of the website.
- Visitors to a .mobi site must be able to view a page that is capable of being displayed in their browser. Website owners must use a format that mobile devices support or use an XHTML-Mobile Profile 1.0 or higher.
- The .mobi site must work with or without the www in the domain name—for example, www.your-website.mobi and your-website.mobi.
mTLD have also suggested best practices that make your .mobi website even more user friendly. Best-practice topics include help with the following areas:
- navigation and links
- Page layout and content
- Page definition
- User input
Back to Top
mTLD audits all .mobi domain websites for compliance with the mandatory rules. The .mobi registrant will be notified and given 60 days’ notice to update their website to meet the compliance rules. If the .mobi website is not made compliant, then mTLD places the domain in a hold status, which means that the domain will not resolve to the Internet.
Back to Top