This article has answers to common questions to help you get started with your .mobi domain name extension.
.mobi is an extension that signifies to users that the website has been designed to be easily viewed by users who access the Internet on their cellular phones or other mobile devices.
Afilias is the registry for the .mobi domain name. A registry is the organization responsible for the administration and maintenance of a domain extension. Network Solutions® accesses Afilias' registry database to register and maintain domain registrations on behalf of our customers. Afilias is supported by a variety of mobile companies, device manufacturers and Internet content providers.
Anyone can register a .mobi domain, but they must meet the following requirements:
- The .mobi name must be between 3 and 63 characters.
- You can use letters from A to Z and numbers from 0 through 9.
- No spaces or special characters are permitted.
In setting up your .mobi website, you will learn about the website standards and rules.
Because the intent of .mobi is to provide easily viewed content for mobile Internet users, there are some mandatory rules for developing a .mobi website. When registering a .mobi domain, the registrant is agreeing to follow the .mobi guidelines for website design and creation.
Some of the mandatory rules include:
- No frames should be used in the design of the website.
- Visitors to a .mobi site must be able to view a page that is capable of being displayed in their browser. Website owners must use a format that mobile devices support or use an XHTML-Mobile Profile 1.0 or higher.
- The .mobi site must work with or without the www in the domain name—for example, www.your-website.mobi and your-website.mobi.
Afilias audits all .mobi domain websites for compliance with the mandatory rules. The .mobi registrant will be notified and given 60 days’ notice to update their website to meet the compliance rules. If the .mobi website is not made compliant, then Afilias places the domain in a hold status, which means that the domain will not resolve to the Internet.