To generate your Certificate Signing Request (CSR), you will need to log into your cPanel® or WHM account. Both cPanel® (the end-user control panel) and WHM (the administrator panel) have slightly different ways to request certificates and generate CSRs.
Follow these instructions to generate a CSR for WHM:
- 1. Log into WHM. From the menu, navigate to the SSL/TLS section, then click Generate a SSL Certificate and Signing Request.
- 2. Fill out the form. Host to make cert for is where you should enter the name of the site you want the certificate.
Note: For wildcard certificates, the Common Name should be in the format: *.mydomain.com. We advise to use at least a 2048-bit key, which is the minimum for EV certificates. Click Create.
- 3. Finally you will be presented with the CSR (labelled Signing Request), the private key, and a temporary self-signed certificate.
- Copy and paste the contents of the CSR into the enrollment form when requested.
- You have generated your CSR for WHM.
Follow these instructions to generate a CSR for cPanel:
- 1. Log into cPanel. Under the Security menu, click the SSL/TLS Manager.
- 2. The first step is to create a Private Key. Click the Generate... link.
- 3. Scroll to the bottom section Generate a New Key and enter your information. We advise to use at least a 2048-bit key, which is the minimum for EV certificates. Click Generate.
- 4. You will be shown the Private Key and its information. Click the link at the bottom to return to the SSL/TLS Manager.
- 5. In the SSL/TLS Manager, click the Generate... link under Certificate Signing Requests.
- 6. Fill out your information in the Generate a New Certificate Signing Request form. Click Generate.
- 7. You will be shown the CSR and its associated information. Copy and paste the contents of the CSR into the enrollment form when requested.
- You have generated your CSR for cPanel.