Important: This article applies to Network Solutions® customers only.
This article explains how your nsProtect® Secure Extended Validation SSL Certificate service will be validated and issued and actions you may need to take to complete these steps.
How Your Extended Validation SSL Certificate Is Validated and Issued
You manage the validation and installation process for your nsProtectTM Secure Extended Validation SSL Certificate through your Network Solutions® Account Manager.
Please perform these steps to get started:
- 1. Click here and log in to the Account Manager.
- 2. Click the My Products and Services tab.
- Select My Security Products. This opens a page that lists the details of your Extended Validation SSL Certificate.
- If you have more than one Extended Validation SSL Certificate in your account, please click a package name to see the details for each Extended Validation SSL Certificate.
- 3. Assign the domain to which the Extended Validation SSL Certificate will be associated.
- If you have more than one Extended Validation SSL product, then select the specific Extended Validation SSL Certificate to configure.
- You can select a domain name from your account or enter a domain manually.
- 4. Generate a Certificate Signing Request (CSR), if you have purchased an SSL Certificate and your website is hosted by a provider other than Network Solutions.
- A CSR is your website's unique identifier from which your SSL Certificate is created. A CSR is generated from the software platform used by your website.
- If Network Solutions® provides hosting services for your website, a CSR will be generated and submitted for you.
- If you are hosting your own website or using another hosting provider, you must contact your web hosting network administrator and ask them to: Generate a CSR for you, and also to identify the software platform and version of the web server.
- 5. Supply all necessary validation information and documentation.
- We cannot begin the validation process until all information is provided.
- Due to the rigorous validation process required for your nsProtectTM Secure Extended Validation SSL Certificate, the validation process may take 4 to 5 business days once we have received all required documents.
- We cannot issue your nsProtect Secure service(s) until the validation process is completed.
- Please understand that the Extended Validation Certificate Issuance Guidelines established by the CA/Browser Forum prohibit Network Solutions from issuing an Extended Validation Certificate to any company for which Network Solutions cannot, using Forum-approved sources:
- Verify that the Applicant meets all of the Extended Validation eligibility requirements in the Guidelines.
- Validate all business information submitted by the Applicant as required by the Guidelines.
- Substantiate the appropriate level of approval or signatory authority of the individual(s) acting on behalf of the Applicant.
If Network Solutions is unable to issue your company an Extended Validation Certificate, you will be notified.
For Extended Validation SSL Certificates
The Extended Validation Certificate Issuance Guidelines require that we verify certain information about the certificate applicant, including but not limited to:
- The legal, physical, and operational existence and identity of the applying organization.
- The applying organization's registration of or control over the domain name to be used with the Extended Validation certificate.
- The name, title, and authority of the Contract Signer, Certificate Approver, and Certificate Requester.
We will attempt to verify some of this information online or through other third-party sources that comply with the guidelines. If we are unable to locate this information online, we will ask you to fax 866-294-0799 or email email@example.com it to us before we can complete your validation. Examples of some of the documentation we may request are:
- Bank statement or utility bills in the business name.
- Government-issued business license.
The guidelines also stipulate that we must contact you or others within your organization directly to verify other pieces of information required for validation, such as the validity of the signatures on the certificate request and legal contracts.
- 1. Network Solutions issues your nsProtectTM Secure Extended Validation SSL Certificate.
- Upon successful validation, you will be notified via email and Account Manager that your Extended Validation SSL Certificate has been issued and is available for download.
- If your website is hosted on a Network Solutions® web server, your Extended Validation SSL Certificate will be installed automatically.
- If your website is hosted elsewhere, you or your hosting provider will need to install the Extended Validation SSL Certificate on your website.
- 2. Generate your Extended Validation nsProtect Secure Seal.
- After your Extended Validation SSL Certificate has been issued and installed, you may generate and install an Extended Validation nsProtectTM Secure Seal on your website.
- In the Account Manager, start by selecting the Seal Design—color and layout—of your choice.
- Click Generate Code.
- Then install the code for your seal on your web pages.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact a nsProtect Secure specialist 24 hours a day, seven days a week, at firstname.lastname@example.org or toll-free at 877-228-1023.
Note: The term for any nsProtect Secure Extended Validation SSL Certificate you have purchased will begin either 90 days from the purchase date—even if your Certificate has not been issued at that time—or at the date of issuance, whichever comes first.